In English, Using the articles a/an or the is sometimes problem for English learners. In this lesson, we are going to present you the best way how to use them.
- Definition: Article A/An is called indefinite one in English grammar.
- Use: A/AN is used before a singular noun that has a plural form. ‘A’ is used before a consonant sound and ‘an’ is used before a vowel sound.
- Exampale: A boy, a pen, a house, a man
An apple, an eraser, an orange, an umbrella
- Definition: “The” is called definite article. It is used before both singular noun and plural noun.
- We use the when we talk about something specific. Compare a/an and the:
- We use the when it is clear in the situation which thing or person we mean. For example, in a room we talk about the light, the floor, the ceiling, the door, the table…:
- Can you turn off the light, please? ( the light in this room)
- I took a taxi to the station. ( the station in that town)
In the same way, we say (go to) the bank, the post office:
- I have to go to the bank and then I’m going to the post office. ( The speaker is usually thinking of a specific bank or post office.)
We also say (go to) the doctor/ the dentist:
- My wife isn’t very well. She’s gone to the doctor. ( her usual doctor)
- Children hate going to the dentist.
- We say once a week, 4 times a day……:
- How often do you visit your hometown? Once a month.
- I go to Dalat for business 3 times a month
I need a bigger house. I’d like to buy the house in Thu Duc.
(Well, in general many house are bigger than my house in my place, but I like the house in Thu Duc).
Other free English Grammar Lessons: